An immigration medical exam is one of the requirements for all immigrant and some nonimmigrant visas, as well as for adjustment of status applicants and refugees. The medical exam helps to determine whether the applicants have any health conditions that need to be attended to before immigration. Dr. David Zarian, MD. – a designated civil surgeon – understands how important this exam is to our patients in Encino, CA. As such, we are dedicated to providing professional and efficient service, in different languages, to ensure that your exam is completed promptly. The immigration medical exam can only be performed in a practice that has been certified by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). This medical professional is known as a “civil surgeon” – a designation given by the USCIS.
What to Expect
During your appointment with Dr. Zarian, you can expect:
- A standard physical exam
- Blood tests to assess your immunity for specific disease
- Vaccinations – if required
- A tuberculin test (TST)
- Blood test for syphilis
- Urine test for gonorrhea
When coming for your immigration medical exam, you will need to provide us with:
- A government-issued photo ID or valid passport
- Form I-693, Vaccination Record, and Report of Medical Examination
- Your vaccination record
- A list of your regular medications
- A written certificate indicating medications/results for the treatment of TB (tuberculosis), gonorrhea, or syphilis – if it applies to you
- A written certificate listing the diagnosis, therapy, and prognosis for the treatment of mental illness or drug/alcohol abuse – if it applies to you
- Some money – we are not allowed to submit claims to any health insurance providers for immigration exams and related services
After the Exam
After completing your medical exam, and administering the necessary vaccinations, we will then complete Form I-693 and put it in a sealed envelope that you will submit to the USCIS along with your green card application. We will also give you a copy of the results for your personal records.
Please give us 10-14 days from your first appointment for all components of your medical exam to be completed. If you have any questions, or to schedule your appointment, please contact our friendly staff for additional information, or to schedule your appointment.